This bready little meal is sugar free, can easily be made gluten free, and has infinite possibilities for variation. It's quick and delicious, too!
1 ½ TBLSP ground flax seed
2 TBLSP water or non-dairy milk
7 TBLSP all-purpose flour (or use gluten-free flour)
Sprinkle of cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking powder
3 TBLSP applesauce
Oil for frying
- In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and water (or non-dairy milk). Set it aside to form into a nice gloppy mess.
- In another small bowl (a cereal bowl works well for this), combine the flour, cinnamon, and baking powder. Stir in the applesauce and the flax glop. The batter will be thick, almost like dough. It will also be sticky, so you’ll have some trouble forming it into patties, but keep after it!
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Place the patties into the hot oil. When a peek at the underside shows golden brown, flip them over. Cover the pan for a few minutes to make sure they’re cooked inside.
Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup.
- Toss in some chocolate chips. A tablespoon will do ya.
- Toss in some blueberries. A quarter of a cup should be more than enough.
- Serve with jam or marmalade instead of fresh fruit and syrup.
- Grate some zucchini and add it with the applesauce.
- Grate some carrot and add it with the applesauce.
- Mash up some left-over roasted sweet potato and add it with the applesauce.