This little pie answers the question: What if everyone’s favorite cookie had an unctuous chocolate filling in it? Okay, maybe it answers ALL the questions.
For the Crust:
4 TBLSP all-purpose flour
1 TBLSP granulated sugar
1 TBLSP brown sugar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of baking soda
1 ½ TBLSP vegan butter
1 TBLSP water
Slosh vanilla extract
1-2 TBLSP chocolate chips
½-1 TBLSP walnut pieces
For the Filling:
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
¼ cup coconut oil
½ cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours
2 TBLSP warm water (optional, slosh in some mint or orange liqueur)
For the Topping:
Make the Crust:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a single-serving pie pan or tart dish with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, salt, and baking soda.
- Add in the butter, water, and vanilla and stir until it forms a nice stiff dough.
- Add in the chocolate chips and walnut pieces, stirring until it’s just barely mixed together.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the pie or tart pan, smoothing it evenly along the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Make the Filling:
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and then take it off the heat. Drop in the coconut oil, which should melt right away once it’s in there.
- Rinse and drain the cashews and whirl them in a food processor or blender until they’re very smooth. This may take several minutes.
- Add in the chocolate and coconut oil. If it needs to be smoother, add some water (or liqueur) in little dribbles.
Assemble the Pie:
- When the crust is completely cool, pour the filling over it and smooth the top.
- Refrigerate for an hour or so, or set it more quickly in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Top with fresh berries, a sprig of mint, or powdered sugar.