If you want to feel like a very grown up person and a child at the same time, this is the dessert for you. It’s quick (although you have to wait for it) and easy, and you probably already have everything you need in your kitchen.
½ tablespoon cornstarch
4 teaspoons sugar
1 pinch salt
½ cup almond milk
¼ ripe banana, squished and mashed thoroughly
¾ teaspoon vegan margarine
½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pinch nutmeg
- Whisk cornstarch, sugar, and salt together in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add milk and banana and whisk until lumps disappear.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking, until the custard thickens.
- When the custard is thick enough, take the custard off heat. To test whether the custard is thick enough, dip a wooden spoon into the mixture and run your finger through the coating. The clean spot will not close back up when it’s thick enough.
- Whisk in butter, vanilla, and nutmeg.
- Pour into serving bowl, cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate. If you cool it with a plastic sheet pressed to the surface, a skin won’t form on the top.