Strawberries just cry out to have something bread-like and a gloppy sauce with them, don’t they? Here’s an excellent way to start your day with a little sweet.
For the Whipped Topping:
6 TBLSP raw walnuts, cashews, or other favorite nut
2 TBLSP freshly squeezed orange juice
½ TBLSP maple syrup
Drop of almond extract (or vanilla, if you prefer)
For the Strawberries:
6-8 strawberries, sliced
1 ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
For the Pancakes:
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 TBLSP rolled oats
2/3 teaspoon baking powder
Dash of salt
1 TBLSP granulated sugar
Slosh of vanilla extract
1/3 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
1 TBLSP coconut oil
Chopped almonds for topping
Start the Whipped Topping:
- In a small bowl, soak the nuts in water for 2 hours or more (overnight, if you like).
Make the Strawberries:
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the strawberries with the sugar. Refrigerate until everything else is ready.
Make the Whipped Topping:
- Drain the nuts and place them in a blender or food processor with the juice, syrup, and extract. Whirl away, scraping down the sides periodically, until it’s a nice smooth and fluffy concoction. This will take 5 minutes or more. Don’t expect it to be like whipped cream—it’s fluffy, but mostly, it’s unctuous and creamy. The important thing is that it be completely smooth.
Make the Pancakes:
- Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a small bowl.
- Add the vanilla, almond milk, and coconut oil and stir briskly until you have a smooth batter.
- In an oiled or non-stick frying pan, fry half the batter at a medium-low temperature, flipping when bubbles start to form on the top. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
Assemble the Stack:
- Place one pancake on your serving plate. Slather the topping all over it and sprinkle some of the sliced strawberries on it. Top with the other pancake, some more of the topping (you’ll probably have extra), and the rest of the sliced strawberries. Top with chopped almonds, if you like, and then devour with the raging hunger of a thousand dragons.