I was out for a walk with my friend Cynthia and Roxie the Wonder Dog, and she (Cynthia) had a hankering for a nosh. She dashed into the local mom ‘n’ pop shop and came out with this yummy little hot salad. It was so good that I tried to recreate it! You try it and tell me what you think.
¼ head of cauliflower, cut into large bite-sized pieces
¼ head of broccoli, cut into large bite-sized pieces
4 spears of asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ white or yellow onion, sliced into thin moons
¼ cup raisins (or dates—any dried fruit will do)
Slosh or two of olive oil
Several sprinkles of cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a baking tray with a rim, toss all the veggies and dried fruit until they’re mixed nicely.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the top. Sprinkle on the cumin, salt and pepper. Stir until everything’s coated nicely. You don't need much oil, so go lightly!
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. They might be done sooner, depending on how soft you like your veggies, so keep an eyeball peeled.
- Toss in some thinly sliced apple.
- Try it with other veggies, like fennel, sweet potatoes, or green beans. Nearly any combination will do.
- A little bit of garlic powder never hurt anyone.
- Sprinkle some nuts over the top for a more substantial dish.