I love pickles, don’t you? Did you know that they don’t have to be made of summer cucumbers and they don’t have to take a long time and a huge amount of kitchen real-estate? In fact, if you want a pickle right now, you can just march into the kitchen and pickle something!
1 TBLSP olive oil
1/8 head of cabbage, sliced thinly (red or white, both are yummy)
¾ of a large carrot, shredded
3 thin slices of red onion, diced
2 ½ TBLSP granulated sugar
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1 TBLSP fennel seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, place the olive oil, sliced cabbage, shredded carrot, onion, sugar, and vinegar. Cook it on medium-high heat until about 2/3rds of the liquid is gone.
- Add the fennel seeds and the salt and pepper and continue cooking until the rest of the liquid is gone and the veggies are tender.
Makes a great side dish for faux dogs, but, as you can see in the picture, I like it on my pizza.
- Use caraway seeds instead of fennel for a more traditional sauerkraut flavor.
- Jazz it up with cumin instead of fennel seeds.
- Add shredded fennel bulb for a stronger licorice flavor.