Search This Blog

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Life-Saving Vegetable Soup for One



When my liver failed, I was too sick to chew, certainly too sick to make food for myself. My friend Mindy came over with this soup and literally saved my life. She made it by the bucket-load, put it through the blender, and left enough of it in a thermos to get my strength back in the right direction, the rest of it in the fridge. I will never tire of this soup, and because I think of Mindy every time I make it now, I look forward to the weather being cold enough to warrant it.

1 TBLSP vegan butter
½ leek, chopped into semi-circles
¼ quartered Brussels sprouts
¼ cup diced yellow-fleshed squash, like butternut or Kobucha
¼ carrot, chopped
¼ stalk celery, chopped
¼ cup chopped fennel bulb
Pinch salt
Several grinds of fresh pepper
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 ½ cup water or vegetable stock
¼ cup chopped Swiss chard or kale (I like red chard, for the color it adds)
Pinch dried dill
Pinch of dried marjoram
Pinch of dried basil
Slosh of tamari (or soy sauce)
Squeeze of lemon juice (perhaps a wedge’s worth)
2 TBLSP vegan sour cream or plain yogurt (optional)
Sunflower seeds, for garnish
Minced fresh parsley, for garnish

  1. In a saucepan, melt/soften/mix the butter, leek, sprouts, squash, carrot, celery, fennel, salt, pepper, and garlic for about 15 minutes, until all the veggies are starting to relax.
  2. Add in the water, and bring it to a boil. Lower it to a simmer, and cook slowly, until everything is tender, about another 10 minutes.
  3. Add Swish chard or greens, and simmer for 5 minutes.
  4. Add dill, marjoram, basil, tamari, and lemon juice, and simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes.
  5. If you choose to add the sour cream or yogurt, do it once the soup is in the bowl, giving it a good stir to make it creamy. Garnish with sunflower seeds and parsley. 


No comments:

Post a Comment