Breakfast can be quick and clean, or it can be slow and messy. This treat is a tasty combination of both, plus it will keep your engine purring all day long.
2 ounces silken tofu (about ¼ of a package)
1 TBLSP vegan butter
1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot
Pinch of baking powder
Pinch of salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
Pinch pf turmeric
Pinch of onion powder
Pinch of garlic powder
Pinch of kala namak, or black sea salt
½ TBLSP olive oil
¼ onion, diced small
1 mushroom, diced
¼ zucchini, shredded
2 TBLSP frozen or fresh corn kernels
4 or 5 zucchini slices and some onion shreds for the top
Sprinkles of shredded vegan cheese
- In a blender or food processor, combine tofu, butter, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, pepper, turmeric, onion and garlic powders, and the kala namak. Set aside.
- In a small oven-safe skillet (non-stick, if you’ve got it), heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and let them cook until they’re soft but not completely cooked through, 2 minutes or so.
- Add the zucchini and corn to the onions and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Pour in the tofu mixture and turn the heat down to medium-low. Stir the contents a few times to make sure that it’s all pleasantly intermingled and smooth the top. Decorate with zucchini and mushroom slices. Let it cook undisturbed for 15 minutes.
- Place the skillet under the broiler and let it cook for 3 minutes, until the top is browned. Watch it like a hawk so that it doesn’t burn. When it’s golden, bring it out to sprinkle the cheese on it—not much! A little bit is all you need—and put it under the broiler again for another minute or so. Be sure to protect your hand from the hot handle!
Let it sit on a wire rack (or the stove’s burner) for 15-20 minutes before removing from the pan and devouring. Eat the whole thing! You’ve earned it!