If you want a dessert that’s moist, refreshing, and not terribly sweet, this is the cake for you. Feel free to use frozen blueberries if it’s not blueberry season. When I was little, I told people that frequent consumption of blueberries was the reason my eyes were so very blue. That’s another reason to eat this cake. To maintain the paint job on your eyebulbs.
For the Cake:
3 TBLSP non-dairy milk (I like almond milk, but it’s your choice)
1 ½ teaspoon lemon zest
1 TBLSP lemon juice
2 TBLSP non-dairy yogurt (I like coconut milk yogurt, but it’s your choice)
¾ teaspoon ground flax seed meal
Slosh of vanilla extract
2 1/3 teaspoons coconut or vegetable oil
½ cup all-purpose flour
3 TBLSP granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
¼ cup blueberries
1 ½ TBLSP more blueberries
For the Glaze:
½ cup confectioner’s sugar
Pinch of lemon zest
½ TBLSP softened vegan butter
1 TBLSP lemon juice
Make the Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 5-inch cake pan. I use a 4-inch spring-form pan and make it thick.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, zest, lemon juice, yogurt, flax, vanilla, and oil.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and blueberries.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just barely combined.
- Plop the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then remove the cake and cool the rest of the way.
You could stop right here, or you can make the glaze.
Make the Glaze:
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, zest, lemon juice, and butter. If it’s not runny enough, add more lemon juice.
Devour like the crude monster that you know you really are when it comes to blueberries and cake. Oh wait. That’s me. Feel free to consume this with your usual elegance. (Carry on.)
- Instead of frosting with the glaze, try smearing some lemon yogurt on the cake.
- Instead of vegan butter in the glaze, use vegan yogurt.