This quick bread sure is quick. It makes a nice accompaniment for a fruit salad, or you can slice them open and slather a little faux cream cheese in there. A nice side of salsa or guacamole would be pretty tasty too!
1 ½ teaspoons ground flaxseed
2 teaspoons water
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
2 ½ TBLSP all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons canola oil
¼ cup water
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease two muffin cups or line with paper liners. Ramekins will serve nicely too.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and water, stirring thoroughly. Set this aside to become viscous and lovely.
- In another small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt, mixing well.
- Add the flaxseed glop, the oil and the water, and stir until it’s smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tins. It should be about half of the batter per muffin.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Add your favorite spices. I’ve tried cumin (ground works better than whole seeds), fennel, and garlic powder. Yummm.
- Toss in some fresh or frozen and thawed corn with the oil and water. About 2 TBLSP would do it.